- About the Center
- Patient Care
- Community Outreach
- Academic Programs
- News & Media
PDT is a convenient way to treat actinic keratosis (AKs). AKs are precancerous skin lesions. About 10% of AKs develop into squamous cell skin cancer.
Treatment includes about a two-hour visit to the clinic:
• Patient arrives, the skin cleansed and Levulan (aminolevulinic acid) is applied to the treatment site.
• Patient waits in the cancer center for 1-2 hours (depending on lesion site) for the Levulan to absorb into the cells.
• Patient returns to the clinic and the Blu-Light is applied to the treatment site for approximately 17 minutes.
• Each treatment site usually requires 2-3 treatments for best results.
• Most insurance companies including Medicare cover the procedure.
• For more information contact the Dermatology Staff at (520)694-CURE (2873).