The Arizona Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center (AzHTC) at the Arizona Health Sciences Center is a comprehensive diagnostic and treatment center for individuals and families with hemophilia, von Willebrand Disease and other inherited bleeding or blood clotting disorders.
Who We Are
The AzHTC provides multi-specialty patient and family-centered care. This involves care provided by the HTC team, an adult and pediatric hematologist, a hemophilia nurse practitioner, a social worker and a physical therapist.
All AzHTC members have received extensive special training and education in the complications of hemophilia and thrombophilia, along with the needs of the individuals and families affected by these disorders.
- Laboratory diagnosis of clotting and bleeding disorders.
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment and management.
- Educational programs for patients, families, school personnel and community health care proviers.
- Comprehensive, multi-specialty team assessment and treatment recommendations at the patient's annual clinic evaluation.
- Specialized laboratory testing, including diagnostic studies, factor assays, inhibitor titers used to individualize treatment plans during routine treatment, management of emergency treatment and surgery.
- Physical therapy evaluation, treatment and education
- Psychosocial support, including crisis intervention, life transition support, direct counseling, parenting education, substance abuse, psychiatric and psychological referral.
- Coordination of care with primary care providers and other subspecialty providers.
- Genetic counseling, testing and education.
- Prenatal testing, and obstetric and gynecological consultation and management.
- Dental casemanagement and dental consultation.
Outpatient and Inpatient Care
Outpatient and inpatient care is provided at the University of Arizona Medical Center, the Arizona Health Science Center's teaching hospital. Pediatric and adult patients are seen in our outpatient clinics. All surgery is done at UAMC, with the bleeding or clotting therapy managed by the AzHTC team.
UAMC has a level-one trauma center, an emergency room and urgent care center, as well as a pharmacy stocked with a complete range of clotting factor concentrates and other products used to control bleeding. There is also a high-risk obstetrics team/clinic on site to provide services for hemophilia carriers and women with other bleeding disorders during pregnancy, labor and delivery. The Special Coagulation Laboratory at UAMC performs accurate diagnostic testing for all bleeding and clotting disorgers.
The Hemophilia Team
Neha Bhasin, MD
Director, Pediatric Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center
Mary Lou Damiano, RN, MEd
Assistant Director, AzHTC
Laurel Pennick, LCSW
Maria Iannone, LAC
Kevin Dusek, PT, DPT, OCS
For more information: Call (520) 626-7556 or visit the Arizona Hemophilia Association website.