What they look like:
Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome:
- 100 or more moles
- One or more moles 8 mm (1/3 inch) or larger in diameter
- One or more moles which are atypical.
- Performing monthly self-examinations, looking for changes in the color, size or shape of their moles or the appearance of new moles is encouraged.
- Skin examinations at least yearly by a dermatologist or other healthcare provider are recommended.
- Depending on the amount of atypical cells found in a mole after biopsy, removal of more tissue from the surrounding area may be necessary.
- Sunscreen and protective clothing should be used to shield moles from sun exposure.