Multiplex Ligation-dependent Probe Amplifiation (MLPA) is a high resolution method used to detect copy number variation in genomic sequences. Different kits are available for purchase from MRC Holland.
- Design probes to specficially target a single gene: each probe set varies in size by at least 1 base pair
- Bind probes to genomic DNA
- Ligate probes together to serve as template in PCR
- Denature probes from target
- Amplify with universal primer
- Analyze like micro-satellite
- Normalize to set of known single copy probes